The Alliance was founded in 2017 to promote multi-disciplinary academic research on sustainable finance and investment. The Alliance organises a major annual academic conference on sustainable finance and investment. The Alliance is also developing academic collaboration among researchers working on sustainable finance and nurturing the growth and development of graduate students and junior academics working on these topics.
The Paris Climate Change Agreement and the 2030 Agenda aim to set policymakers, the private sector, and civil society on a common path to advance global environmental sustainability and human well being. In this context, actors and institutions in our financial system have a crucial role to play in catalysing and supporting relevant solutions, and in ensuring that they do not undermine necessary social, environmental, and economic progress. It is also increasingly important that academic research helps to guide global cooperation efforts in an effective direction. This research must come from a diverse range of approaches and fields in order to constructively address what are extremely complicated and multi-disciplinary problems in the sustainability and finance fields.
The 3rd Annual Conference is being hosted by the Columbia Centre on Sustainable Investment, a joint centre of the Columbia Law School and the Earth Institute. The conference this year will be hosted online, with details to follow.
- Amir Amel-Zadeh, Associate Professor of Accounting, Oxford
- Howard Buffett, Adjunct Professor of Sustainability Policy and Management, Columbia
- Satyajit Bose, Professor of Sustainable Investing, Columbia
- Ben Caldecott, Director, Oxford Sustainable Finance Programme, Associate Professor, Oxford
- John Coffee, Director, Center of Corporate Governance, Columbia
- Todd Cort, Co-Director Initiative on Sustainable Finance, Yale
- Bob Eccles, Visiting Professor of Management Practice, Oxford
- Dan Esty, Professor of Environmental Law & Policy, Yale
- Ron Gilson, Professor of Law and Business, Columbia
- Elizabeth Harnett, Lead, Oxford Sustainable Finance Programme, Oxford
- Tessa Hebb, CERES, Fellow, Centre for Community Innovation, Carleton
- Sarah Holloway, Director, Management Specialization, Columbia School of International and Public Affairs
- Bruce Kogut, Professor of Leadership and Ethics, Columbia Business School
- Falko Paetzold, Managing Director, Department of Banking and Finance, Center for Sustainable Finance and Private Wealth, UZH
- Jeffrey Sachs, University Professor, Columbia
- Aniket Shah, Head of Sustainability and ESG Research for the Americas, UBS, Senior Fellow, Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment, Columbia
- Alicia Seiger, Managing Director, Precourt Institute Sustainable Finance Initiative and Steyer-Taylor Center for Energy Policy and Finance, Stanford
- Paul Smeets, Professor of Philanthropy and Sustainable Finance, Maastricht
- John Tobin-de la Puente, Professor of Practice of Corporate Sustainability, Co-Director, Initiative on Responsible Finance, Cornell
- Bruce Usher, Director, Tamer Center for Social Enterprise, Columbia
- Tracy Van Holt, Academic Director, Center for Sustainable Business, NYU
- Yao Wang, Director General, International Institute of Green Finance, CUFE
- Adam Zurofsky, Professor of International and Public Affairs, Columbia
Research and Data Sponsor:
Asset Manager Sponsor:
Paper Presentations I
Paper Presentations II
Paper Presentations III9:30-10:30
Paper Presentations IV11:00-12:00
Paper Presentations V
Paper Presentations VI
Paper Presentations VII
Paper Presentations VIII
Call For Papers
The 3rd Annual Conference will be hosted online by the Columbia Center on Sustainable Investment (CCSI), a joint center of Columbia Law School and the Earth Institute at Columbia University in New York.
We are seeking approximately 40 high quality papers for the Conference, each paper having a 30-minute speaking slot. We seek papers from a range of disciplines, fostering dialogue and collaboration across different fields. The deadline for submission is has been extended to Monday, May 11, 2020.
Papers will be presented over multiple conference sessions, organized around the theme of the submissions. Themes include, but are not limited to:
- Sustainable finance – the roles and impacts of different financial services actors and institutions
- Corporate governance
- Climate-related risks and finance
- Data and novel methods for understanding and measuring sustainability in finance and investment
- Measuring impact
- The role and effectiveness of ESG ratings and assessment
- Sustainable finance and the law
- Social and human rights dimensions of sustainable finance
- Sustainable investment in and by emerging market actors
- The role of the state in advancing sustainable finance
- Financing natural infrastructure
- Agenda 2030 and the role of accounting systems
REGISTRATION WILL OPEN SHORTLY.
This conference will be held online. The registration form will be made available here.
The Alliance was founded in 2017 to promote multi-disciplinary academic research on sustainable finance and investment. The Alliance organises a major annual academic conference on sustainable finance and investment. The Alliance is also developing academic collaboration among researchers working on …Read More
The second annual conference of the Alliance was held at the Examination Schools, University of Oxford from the 3rd – 6th September 2019. The conference hosted papers on sustainability with major contributions to complementary disciplines such as finance, accounting, management, strategy,...Read More
“The inaugural conference of the Alliance titled “Managing and Financing Responsible Businesses” was held at the European Centre for Corporate Engagement at Maastricht University School of Business and Economics, Maastricht University from 5th – 7th September 2018.”Read More